Residential elevators carry passengers, bulky and heavy materials, and household items to the different floors of a house. There are many models and brands of elevators to choose from for your home, choosing the right residential elevator to buy can be a complex task. Several factors would need to be considered to choose the right accessibility system.
Residential elevators come with different types of drive systems:
- Roped Hydraulic
- Cable Winding Drum
- Chain Drive Counterweight
- Vacuum Tube
- Gearless Traction Elevators
Each of these has its own benefits and varies in cost. Other aspects you would need to consider when selecting an elevator are:
- Traveling speed: The travel speed of home elevators is generally 30-40 ft per minute.
- Load capacity: If you only need to transport one person at a time, you can choose an elevator with a lower weight capacity. If the elevator has to transport a person in a wheelchair, consider the weight of the passenger as well as the weight of the wheelchair. There must also be adequate space inside the cab to comfortably accommodate a wheelchair.
- Safety features: It should ideally have the safety features such as battery-operated emergency lowering, lighting and fan, manual emergency lowering button, emergency stop and alarm buttons, in-use indicator lights on hall station, telephone, non-skid platform, under-panel sensor to stop the unit if it detects an obstruction, pressure relief valve to prevent platform overload, electro-mechanical door lock and open door sensors, mechanical emergency safety brake system, infrared safety light curtain, handrails inside cab, earthquake brackets and automatic battery recharging system.
- Space: There are certain models which do not require any separate machine room and some can be even installed adjacent to wrap-around stairs through a hole in floor or can be attached to a balcony. The main advantage of these models is that they consume only minimal floor space which helps to save valuable space in your home. You can decide on the elevator model for your home based on the amount of space you have to spare.
- Other considerations when choosing a residential elevator:
- Should offer a fast, comfortable and quiet ride
- Should be able to travel to the required distance
- Should be an energy-efficient, environment-friendly device.
- Should be user-friendly
- Should add style and beauty to your home and come with customization options
There are models of elevators which can be easily installed in both new and existing homes. State-of-the-art glass elevators and pneumatic vacuum elevators offer an unobstructed view of the building’s interior.
- Budget: Besides the price of the elevator, installation and maintenance add to the cost. So to save installation cost and time, it is always advisable to purchase a system that does not require a pre-construction shaft, pit or separate machine room for installation. Reliable dealers in NY offer quality home elevators at competitive prices, including special pricing on those bought out of medical necessity.
Locate an Authorized Dealer
A home elevator should be able to make your home more accessible and increase its resale value. If you are planning to install one, then you can approach a licensed accessibility equipment distributor in Long Island.
With a team of experienced and certified factory-trained technicians, Day Elevator & Lift can provide you with the necessary guidance to choosing the right residential elevator from our selection of high-quality residential elevators from reputable brands. We can customize the construction configurations and fixtures according to your requirements and also provide timely professional installation and maintenance services. Contact us at (800) 758-5438 or fill out our online contact form for more information about your home elevator options in the Long Island area. On-call support is available 24 hours a day.