Stair lifts improve the independence of people with mobility challenges to a great extent by allowing them to access a flight of stairs easily, safely and conveniently. An outdoor stair chair lift resolves the barriers posed by outdoor staircases. Leading dealers offer innovative models of stair lifts for the outdoors equipped with several advanced safety features and technical specifications. With so many brands and models available, selecting a stair lift can be a daunting process. Here are some of the main factors to consider when buying a stair chair lift for your outdoor staircase.
- Guide rail – Make sure that the stair lift model you choose comes with a reliable rack and pinion drive system. Smooth and stable movement up and down the stairs is ensured with this type of drive mechanism. Quality outdoor models are fitted with a corrosion-resistant, extruded aluminum track . Avoid outdated cable hauled lifts as they are potentially far less safe and can be problematic in the long term.
- Seat assembly and cover – The seat assembly and cover is an important consideration. Reliable outdoor lifts are specifically manufactured keeping outdoor conditions in mind. These systems are constructed from durable and corrosion-resistant material to guard against inclement weather conditions. Covers need to fit well and be weatherproof as well.
- Carriage – The carriage should have a folded steel structure for extra strength and durability as huge forces are exerted on these parts in the process of lifting you up and down the stairs. Quality stair lifts from leading dealers are generally equipped with about 12 rollers. Moreover, when it comes to the seat, things like the height, nature of swivel (manual versus power), and safety hitches to ensure that the system will move only after the carriage is securely locked, are crucial.
- Safety devices – Safety features need to be considered while selecting an outdoor stair lift. Popular stair lift models from leading dealers are equipped with a wide range of safety features such as retractable seat belt for added security, folding arms, seat and footrest, and slack-cable brake w/switch. A key lock is also necessary to prevent unauthorized use of the lift.
- Remote control – This is useful if the lift will be used by more than one person. With the remote control, you can call stairlift to you if the seat happens to be where you are not.
- Load capacity – Always check the load capacity of the device before purchase. While standard size stair lifts usually carry up to 300 lbs, heavy-duty systems can support as much as 500-600 lbs.
Purchasing outdoor stair lifts from an established dealer is important for prompt after-sales support. When compared to indoor stair lifts, outdoor models need to be inspected for safety and serviced more frequently due to their exposure to the elements. With a professional dealer, you will be ensured of efficient post-sales support for installation, repair and maintenance. Many dealers also offer recertified stairlifts, an ideal option for customers with budget constraints.