According to the Architectural Barriers Act (ABA), platform lifts are the recommended solution in settings where a ramp or elevator is technically infeasible or to provide an accessible route in the locations permitted in new construction. However, these accessibility systems are much more versatile than they are generally thought to be. Though they are also called wheelchair lifts, they are useful not just for wheelchair users. They improve access to multilevel buildings for people of all ages who use mobility aids like walking frames, canes, and crutches. They are the ideal option for anybody who finds stairs a challenge such as caregivers with reduced mobility and people with medical conditions such as arthritis and heart ailments.
The ABA recommends the use of vertical and inclined platform lifts to help people negotiate steps, stairs or changes in levels in a variety of settings:
- Wheelchair spaces, performance areas, and speakers’ platforms
- Incidental spaces with a maximum occupancy of 5 that are not for public use
- Raised courtroom stations, such as jury boxes, witness stands, judges’ benches, clerks stations and depressed areas such as the well of the court
- Levels within transient lodging guest rooms and residential dwelling units
- Recreation facilities such as amusement rides, play areas, team/player seating areas in sports facilities, boating facilities, and fishing piers and platforms
There are wheelchair lifts for use inside homes and outdoors. They can provide front door access from the path or driveway as well as garage access. Leading manufacturers Adaptive Engineering and Ascension provide portable platform lifts which ensure disability access in almost any location. These systems come with wheels suitable to negotiate both finished surfaces and uneven terrain and can be easily moved around.
If you live in New York or New Jersey and wish to purchase a platform lift, locate a reliable dealer that serves the area. With an established dealer, you can choose from a wide range of quality products from the best brands. You can visit the company’s showroom to learn more about the device and see how it works. Partnering with the right provider would ensure customized installation and dedicated support for maintenance and inspection.