At some point of life, many people find it difficult to walk up and down stairs due to age-related ailments. Musculoskeletal problems and balance and coordination issues may restrict their ability to access all floors of a building. Fortunately, a stairlift can resolve this problem and enhance their mobility and independence to a great extent. The device features a motorized seat which is powered by alternating current or batteries so they can function even when there is no power cut. The motorized seat runs along a rail and allows the user to travel up and down the stairs safely and comfortably. Suppliers of accessibility equipment offer a variety of stair lifts in New York from leading brands. There are stairlifts for both straight and curved staircases. Recent market reports indicate that the global stair lift market is growing at a fast pace.
According to a Coherent Market Insights report, several factors are contributing to the global stairlift market:
- Ease of accessibility
- Low cost of installation
- Rise in geriatric population
- Aging-related health conditions such as hip fractures, traumatic brain injuries, Vitamin D deficiency, vision problems or lower body weakness.
The report notes that the rising global geriatric population is of the main factors fueling the growth of the global stairlifts market. The number of people in the world aged 60 years or over is projected to grow by 56%, from 901 million to 1.4 billion from 2015 to 2030, according to World Population Ageing Report 2015. The common problems faced by the geriatric population include
- Risks of falling due to vertigo or dizziness
- Mental deterioration
- Chronic disease
- Reduced mobility caused due to age-related issues
The report also notes “According to the World Health Organization, falls are the second leading cause of accident or unintentional injury which leads to death of people worldwide whereas adults older than 65 years suffer the greatest number of fatal falls. Moreover, every 11 seconds, an older adult is treated in emergency room for a fall and every 19 minutes, an elderly person dies from a fall according to National Council on Aging”. These statistics explain the importance of stairlifts.
The report also discusses the segments and end-users of the Global Stairlift Market:
- By type, the stairlift market is segmented into three types, straight stairlifts, curved Stairlifts and standing stairlifts. A straight stairlift is meant for a straight staircase without any turns or bends, whereas a curved stairlift is designed to be installed on staircases which are either curved or have bend in them. A standing stair lift, also known as a “perch lift,” is very much like a chair lift, except that it provides a smaller platform that mostly only allows the passenger to stand as they move up and down the stairs.
- There are two types of modalities: indoor and outdoor stairlifts.
- By operation mode, the market is segmented to two: alternating current and direct current
- End-users of stairlift include health care facilities and home care settings.
Based on geographical region, the stairlift market includes North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. The market for stairlifts in North America is growing fast due to rise in geriatric population and also due to advancement in technology for mobility device marketing. Europe is another geographical region that is witnessing a growth in stairlift market. Decrease in installation cost could be contributing to the growth in the Asia Pacific market for stairlifts.
According to the Coherent Market Insights report, the key players operating in the global stairlifts market are Acorn Stairlifts, Bruno Independent Living Aids, Stannah Stairlifts Ltd., Inc, and Handicare. Leading brands available in the market include Siena, Handicare Van Gogh, Starla, Elan Indoor Straight, and Acorn Superglide 120.