With more and more high-rises coming up in New York, the demand for elevators is soaring. Problems like cost, maintenance and installation are nightmares for people buying these accessibility systems. Partnering with a reliable elevator company is the best way to address these challenges and ensure efficient, hassle-free installation.
Planning steps while Installation
Installing an Elevator should be performed by an authorized contractor and in accordance with instructions provided by the manufacturer. Here are some of the main considerations while installing an elevator in your home or office:
- Elevator Drive System: The elevator’s drive system would depend on your requirement. Drive systems available include: traction, hydraulic, pneumatic, and rack and pinion. Reliable elevator dealers offer free site assessments and help you choose a model with a drive system that will suit your requirements.
- Code Requirements: Installation must also meet the requirements of the National Electric Code, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) safety code, and state and local building codes. That’s why it’s crucial that the system must be set up by an experienced local dealer in accessibility equipment.
- Electrical Requirements: Depending on the lift shaft, some require 100volt/20amp and others require 220volt/30amp circuit.
- Hoistway Size: The hoistway size may vary among buildings. In steel-reinforced concrete buildings, the hoistway should be designed so that concrete walls are at least 120mm thick. No wiring or distribution panels should be mounted on walls. Ideal hoistway dimensions are five feet wide by six feet deep.
- Machine room: The machine room should conform to the size requirements of the elevator and allow access to and around all equipment to accommodate adjustment and future repairs. Elevator machine rooms should not be located underneath bathrooms or rooms with water flooding possibilities and next to occupied spaces, classrooms and conference rooms to avoid sound disturbances.
While installing a home elevator, you have to ensure that your building has an ample space to accommodate the device. If not, the technicians would find it difficult to work and it could also cause severe damage to your home. It is also remove any obstacles from the area where the lift is to be installed, so that the technicians can start on the work right away when they arrive. A central opening with a header for your lift is recommended to provide enough room to move the door of the system. Make sure all of your family members are informed about the elevator installation process, and take care to include safety features like space guards and special hoistway doors.
Careless installation is unsafe. So find a professional elevator company that can provide efficient elevator installation by experienced certified technicians.