Even though accessibility devices are the safest form of transportation available, people sometimes get injured due to accidents. These accidents occur due to different reasons such as mechanical breakdown, system malfunction and problem with the leveling, faulty wiring or a device control malfunction. In addition, injuries can occur due to rider- errors. These include –
- Walking into an open elevator shaft when no car is there
- Using one’s legs to stop closing device doors
- Erratic door operation
- Standing too close to closing doors or struck by doors
- Entering or exiting a device that is above or below the landing area
Elevator User Tips for a Safe Ride
Modern mobility equipment are equipped with prominent safety features that ensure users a safe and convenient ride. Special door interlock systems prevent the device door from opening between the floors. Safety speed breakers (with a speed governor) prevent the elevator going beyond the specified speed limit. Other features include – automatic operating controls, emergency alarms, manual lowering device, and touch screen controls among others. Even though these mobility devices are equipped with prominent features, following some simple guidelines will help users ensure a safe and convenient ride –
- Allow passengers exiting the elevator to clear before boarding.
- Users should watch their steps while boarding, as the device car may not be perfectly in level with the floor or landing area.
- Never try to stop a closing door with your arms or legs. Often, getting your body part trapped between the moving doors can lead to serious injuries. Hence, it is better to wait for the next car.
- Push and hold the “Door button” if the doors of a lift do not open on their own. If that doesn’t work, use the emergency call button and seek professional help.
- Never climb out of a stalled elevator.
- Do not panic in the event of power failure as emergency lighting is available.
- If trapped inside an unmoving lift, sit down if possible. Injuries have occurred from falls when suddenly the device gets restarted.